contagiousreads

Contagious Reads

I blog all things contemp, horror, romance, NA, and erotica

Hurt
Tabitha Suzuma
Bold Tricks (The Artists Trilogy, #3)
Karina Halle
Cthulhu's Daughter and Other Horror Tales - Rhiannon Frater Rhiannon sent me a copy of this to test read before it's upcoming release. Which I believe is very very soon. While some of the stories have been released in other anthologies all were new to me. The opening story is a new one and was just all around CREEPY...Cthulu's Daughter sets the tone for the rest of the collection. The story opens with a young girl on a pier as she contemplates the dark waters and why they call to her. What happens next is haunting and dark.
The closing story (in my copy) is a subtle horror that is epic in darkness and scare factor. It's source of horror is surprising and exciting. I really hope that she is able to expand this story in the future. I can see the scope and epicness of it outdoing some of her more popular works. It might even be my fourth favorite Rhiannon read. Which goes:
Tale of the Vampire Bride
Dead Spots
Last Bastion of the Living
The Key (short story)
Each story in the collection has a monster in it. Sometimes the monsters are easy to spot but mostly they only show parts of their true faces, and a select few are monsters you would not see coming. What I like more than Rhiannon's monsters are her heroes. They always come in unexpected and wonderful packages.
Overall this is a must read for anyone who wants a quick horror fix. There is a little something for everyone. Zombies, werewolves, robots, other worldly beings are all present.

I recommend this for all horror fans and for all Rhiannon fans. I simply loved it.
I have never read Lovercraft's story and I imagine I am not the only one. I still understood Cthulhu's Daughter but here is a quick reference for others just incase you live under a rock like me. :D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu