contagiousreads

Contagious Reads

I blog all things contemp, horror, romance, NA, and erotica

Hurt
Tabitha Suzuma
Bold Tricks (The Artists Trilogy, #3)
Karina Halle
The Charmed Fates - Christine Wenrick Why yes, I did read this in a day. Awesomesauce is in this book!
Olivia and Caleb have faced a number of problems in their time together but in this book a new “problem” shows it’s face. It’s Caleb’s old “mate” Celeste. Celeste enters Caleb and Olivia’s world and turns everything upside down. Olivia being her normal impulsive self, runs off to the Brethren setting into motion the trap that may make her Davin’s weapon forever. Jax and Gemma have their own hurdles to jump and a new baby. This book is a joy ride of action, love and blood. By far the most action packed of all three books Wenrick does not leave the reader disappointed.
This is one of those “I read it in a day” books. I simply could not put it down. I had to know what was happening next. Christine Wenrick hooked me with the first two books of this series and she sold me on anything else she ever writes with this third book. It was simply covered with epicness. There were twists and turns that surprised me. Some of the twists were predictable, but Christine threw those at the reader to distract them from seeing the bigger reveals. It worked. And by predictable twists I mean Celeste. We know she is an evil hoochie from the second she enters the page. It’s no surprise that she is spending the whole book playing games with Caleb and Olivia. What is surprising is her attachment to Caleb. It’s simply evil and kind of gross. At several points in the book I wanted to slap my kindle she was that aggravating.
The cast of characters in this series is definitely the highlight of the work. Christine infuses a lot of humor into them. Olivia is still sassy as ever and I was constantly chuckling at her sarcasm throughout the book. I think my favorite scene was when she encounters Kane again at the Oracle. She has such an easy, fun chemistry with her guardians that I love.
“unbelievable,” I blinked back at him. “I didn’t think me like you really existed.” Kane splayed his arms out from his sides with an easy smile. “In the flesh, darlin’…in the flesh.”
The sexy times in this book are as hot as ever, but there are fewer of them than in the previous works and I was totally ok with that. It felt natural when it happened and not like the author was forcing her characters to “get it on” as much as possible to sell books. Which, let’s be honest, there are a lot of books out there where the whole entire plot is sex. I need a bit more to a book to find it good. Obviously from my 5 star rating this book more than a “bit more” to it.
The action was great. This book is bloody. I loved it. How can you have a vampire book without blood, and death? The answer is you can’t. This is not a horror novel so you won’t find the remorseless blood suckers taking center stage but there are a few in here. Olivia really finds her strength in this book. Even when she is being tortured she manages to kick butt. She also manages to keep hold on to her humanity through a tough situation. She would not have been able to do that without the love of her friends and family. Which was a great highlight for me. Jax, Gemma, Caleb and her guardians have really become her family.
Which brings me to the ending of the book and an awesome little surprise is there waiting for the reader. Overall, the HEA was very satisfying. Oh, and check out the sneak peek at Christine’s next book. Eeep. Can’t wait! What a great ride this series has been. I can’t believe that it’s only been a few short months ago that I got to know these characters. They feel like they have been with me a lot longer than that.