contagiousreads

Contagious Reads

I blog all things contemp, horror, romance, NA, and erotica

Hurt
Tabitha Suzuma
Bold Tricks (The Artists Trilogy, #3)
Karina Halle
Reign of Blood - Alexia Purdy This was a good book. The first 10% is a little slow moving as we get to know April. The rest of the book is gripping as April fights off rabid vampires or Zompires as they seem to be a mix of both. When she meets the hybrid vampires she learns more about herself and learns that not all vampires are evil.
What I liked:
April was a good lead character. She was tough but had enough vulnerability to be believable. Rye was a good match for her and although the suffer from what Author Rhiannon Frater calls insta-love/destined to be mated syndrome that is found in so many ya books these days. This is isn't quite as bad as Twilight because it's not drug out for pages and books on end. It's also not the main and only point of the book. As a matter fact it barely comes into play. Maybe mentioned 2 or 3 times which makes me wonder if this is going to be a series rather than a stand alone novel. The writing was good and the author gives great descriptions of dead Las Vegas, the zompires and the hybrids.
What I didn't like:
Insta-Love. I love a good love story but sometimes I just wish the characters could just have a 'normal' courtship.
Everything was just a little to convient. It was like the author would write herself into a corner and then was like 'oh yeah by the way april has this special skill that she knew before that I forgot to mention' or 'oh yeah by the way April knows how to do such and such because she was never a normal teenager'. I know I'm not explaining it well but you'd know what I am talking about if you read the book.
Overall I really enjoyed this book and will recommend it to others and perhaps even reread it someday. If a sequel does come out I will read it.